This is a debut novel of Shelby Mahurin.
I listened to this playlist while reading https://open.spotify.com/user/debbyhattan/playlist/012WTnoSoqZ9qGLEO2dc0Q?si=J1n-ZyAkTKOme45a7kXAZA
From Google books,
An Amazon Best Book of 2019 * New York Times Bestseller * B&N’s YA Book Club Pick * Indiebound Bestseller * #6 on the 2019 Kids’ Indie Next List
“A brilliant debut, full of everything I love: a sparkling and fully realized heroine, an intricate and deadly system of magic, and a searing romance that kept me reading long into the night. Serpent & Dove is an absolute gem of a book.” —Sarah J. Maas, #1 New York Times bestselling author of A Court of Thorns and Roses series
Bound as one, to love, honor, or burn. Book one of a stunning fantasy duology, this tale of witchcraft and forbidden love is perfect for fans of Kendare Blake and Sara Holland.
Two years ago, Louise le Blanc fled her coven and took shelter in the city of Cesarine, forsaking all magic and living off whatever she could steal. There, witches like Lou are hunted. They are feared. And they are burned.
As a huntsman of the Church, Reid Diggory has lived his life by one principle: Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live. But when Lou pulls a wicked stunt, the two are forced into an impossible situation—marriage.
Lou, unable to ignore her growing feelings, yet powerless to change what she is, must make a choice. And love makes fools of us all.
Set in a world of powerful women, dark magic, and off-the-charts romance, book one of this stunning fantasy duology will leave readers burning for more.
- This is a fast paced story that doesn’t neglect the character’s development.
- The world building, the magic system, it were all described to its finest detail and well constructed.
- I’ve always love third pov but this book, changed me. It was written in first pov of two main characters and truly good.
- Shelby Mahurin is such a good writer, she knows when to flesh out certain information, managing all the foreshadow too well. Definitely, from her writing, she was a good storyteller.
- There were so many plot twist that I should see it coming!
- This is a story that have well-built story line. The transition is so smooth from one scene to another.
- All the characters were so well developed. Main and side character had their own platform to stand and spotlight to shine on.
- I love how the personality of each character isn’t described through words but ACTIONS!
- The dynamic relationship between characters are good too. Wow, this story is really something. I just realized, they are so many reason why I adore the novel so much.
- Since I mentioned that it was a fast pace story. The beginning of few pages kind of get me messed up with all the names. You really just got swooped into the story.
- The final act a bit rush for me. But still that’s where it all end. This story is so good.
Honourable Mention of The Story’s Core
I am that kind of person who love to writ so in Pinterest, I usually stumbled upon a lot of writing prompt. Mostly the contradiction story that got my attention for example, a story when hero and villain fall in love. And like this novel, a witch and witch hunter. It’s a story your soul craved for, the concept is legendary. You either end up writing a great one or just cliche. But Shelby Mahurin, everyone, she did such an outstanding job. She created a masterpiece ❤️